Chadong Ferry Dock is one of my favorite plein air paintings. It’s near and dear to my heart perhaps because it’s not only a painting about my hometown, Western Hunan Province where my ancestors are from, but it’s also a painting about Border Town, a well-known novel about Western Hunan Province in the 1920s by novelist Shen Cong-Wen. This medium size landscape painting was done entirely on-site and captured the people, the place and its spirit through my own eyes. In the video below, I shared with my students the story behind the painting and its collector, how to create plein air paintings, how to observe, and how to render details to make a plein air painting come to life.
Something is wrong. Response takes too long or there is JS error. Press Ctrl+Shift+J or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac.
- Lessons from Chadong Ferry Dock – how to paint plein air landscape and imbue it with poetry and stories
- A look back on time – Taipei TV interview on Expert Talks
- How to paint a portrait – a step-by-step process for Girl in Kimono
- Jesus walking on water – from the perspective of an artist
- From Mackay Practicing Medicine to Huang Dafu